How to start a band

You know how to play an instrument and have a lot of spare time? Why don't you start a band?



A band is the essential school community that combines a way of learning an instrument, rocking out and being social.
If you're at high school or college you have lots of chances of knowing people that share the same interests and tastes as you, and that eventually may want to form a band with you.
By the other hand, you can look in newspaper ads, on-line forums and communities for people in your area interested in forming a band.

So, how do you start?

1. Get a place to rehearse
A garage or a basement might work pretty well. Make sure you have rugs lying around in the room and egg boxes glued to the walls. This will help reduce the bass vibrations.

2. Have instruments
A drum set, electric guitar and bass are a must.
If you're a starter, don't buy fancy and professional equipment, because it's too expensive and at this level, you don't need really good material.

3. Learn how to play your instruments
You don't necessarily need to take classes, or taking a degree in music.
Nowadays you can learn the basics through theory and practical courses, which can provide you a good musical basis.
Your band colleagues also can teach you a lot of things, and as you keep playing in the band, you gain a lot of experience.

4. Do a lot of practice together
In the beginning, you should play covers to get to know your band mates skills.
As you progress, start doing jam sessions. If the things you play start sounding good, you're ready to compose!

And I believe that's all! I hope this tips were helpful.
One thing you should remember: even big bands started on small stages.

14 comments:

  1. I play trumpet :( and no longer live in New Orleans so my talent is pretty worthless for Jazz music now. Not much people listen to it anymore anyway. But great list! thats about how you do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a guitar, but i have never been good at playing it XD.. mostly just get some song tunes and play along, feel the trill of playing a few bits, but im gona see if i can get my freinds to get together.. just for fun , too old to seek a career! XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been in many bands. I even played shows with big ol' celebrities. (even though she wasn't really at the time)

    http://popetimothybowen.blogspot.com/2011/08/rock-and-roll-confessions-i-opened-for.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish i could play guitar. To little time to practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I knew how to play an instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't picked up an instrument in years and I don't have time to practice. :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol, I want to be a manager and got all the money and bang all the pretty girls. I think that position doesnt require me to know playing an instrument.

    ReplyDelete
  8. have 2 friend who made a garage band

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish i could sing. But i have no strong voice. I would call my band "Bob omb."

    ReplyDelete
  10. A man i want to play the guitar .

    ReplyDelete
  11. always thought about founding my own band :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. ever since i started college i realy wished i had started learning an instrument sooner. now i dont have much time

    ReplyDelete